Why book with TravelPony ?
Get the best deal possible with big savings on your car rental
Looking for the best deal on a car rental?
Look no further! You can count on huge savings with the specials being offered at Travelpony.com.
In cooperation with hundreds of local, national and global car rental agencies, we offer a wide variety of vehicle choices so that you can rent the perfect class of car for your trip. Travelpony.com is available to answer your questions and help you find the car you need wherever you might be in the world.
CAR RENTAL TIPS
Before leaving home make sure you have the following:
BEFORE LEAVING HOME
Make sure you have the following:
- Your Car Hire Voucher
- Valid Driver’s License. Check your voucher regarding license requirements. Bring all parts of your license.
- Your Credit Card, either Visa or MasterCard
Keep in mind that the local rental agency will require you to leave a security deposit to ensure that the vehicle is returned. The deposit will be equivalent to Excess + Fuel + VAT. This amount will be blocked on the credit card of the primary driver. (Cash deposits, debit cards, Switch and Maestro may be acceptable in rare situations. Please call us in advance if you wish to use any of these methods of payment.)
BEFORE SIGNING YOUR CAR RENTAL AGREEMENT
Make sure that you do the following:
- Present your voucher, driver’s license and credit card. You will need to hold onto these during the term of your rental.
- Take time to thoroughly read the car rental agreement.
- Thoroughly read all details regarding basic insurance and any additional insurance coverage you’ve agreed to pay for while still at the counter.
- Make sure to get the agent to explain anything you do not fully understand or have a question about before agreeing to sign the car rental agreement.
BEFORE LEAVING THE RENTAL AGENCY IN YOUR RENTED CAR
Check the following:
- Visually check the car you’re renting for any damage. If you spot anything, inform the agent about the damage and make sure it is noted on the rental agreement. Before getting into the car make sure the agent has signed off on the damage on the rental agreement itself.
- Check to see that any added equipment that you’ve requested is included. Make sure that this equipment meets the requirements. If you find a problem, inform the agent immediately. Any added equipment must be paid for at the counter.
- Double check the route you plan on taking during your trip. Make sure you have all the equipment you will need to make the trip safely. If you see any issues, let the agent know so that you can get a map or further advice.
WHEN YOU RETURN THE CAR AT DROP-OFF
Make sure you do the following:
- Visually inspect the car for any damage. If you find something, inform the agent. Ask the agent if there will be any charges to repair the damage and get everything in writing.
- Make sure that the agent signs off on the rental agreement when you return the car. This is very important.
- Give yourself plenty of time to return the car before having to catch your flight.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to bring with me to the car rental agency?
To rent a car, the primary driver must present a credit card with enough credit still on it to cover the deposit, a valid driver’s license in his/her name (also required for anyone else who will drive the car), plus a Car Rental Voucher from Travelpony.com.
How is the Deposit and the Excess figured?
The person renting the car must leave a deposit consisting of the amount of the rental, plus an excess as well as the fuel costs, which will be blocked on his/her credit card to guarantee the full cost of renting the car. The amount charged for the deposit will depend on which category of car is being rented. The rental agency at the drop off location will unlock the deposit if you return the car in the exact condition it was in when you rented it.
The excess amount of money is taken out of your deposit if you return the car damaged, this is called “damage excess.” If the car was stolen, it would be called “theft excess.” If your damage excess came to 300 EUR and bodywork damage when you returned the car came to 1,000 EUR, you would be required to only pay the 300 EUR as the 700 EUR balance is covered by the collision damage waiver (CDW) policy.
What type of insurance will my rental car come with?
The standard insurance policies for rental cars are Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) plus Theft Protection (TP). Payment for these insurance policies are either included in the rental price, bought from the rental agency or may even be provided by your credit card company.
Would there be any added charges I would have to pay when I return the car?
You may be charged for fuel, excessive dirt and grime, and any extra hours or days you kept the car. Make sure that you return the car on the exact date and at the time agreed to in your contract to avoid those added charges.
What am I supposed to do if my car breaks down or I get into a car accident?
If either of these things happen, immediately phone the car rental company. You will find an emergency phone number on your rental agreement. At that point the car rental company will tell you what you need to do next. Keep all paperwork. If you’re in an accident you will need to bring the police report and fill out an accident report from the car rental agency.
How and where would I pay for the extra equipment I need?
If you need any extras, like child safety seats, a GPS device, snow chains, etc. you would pay for those when you first pick the car up at the rental agency.
Which payment methods do you accept?
You can book your car rental with a credit card from Visa, MasterCard or American Express. When you go to pick up your rental car, you will need to bring a credit card for the deposit.
Is there anything I should make sure I do before driving off in the car?
Even before signing the contract, take some time to become familiar with the car you’re renting. Find out what type of fuel it takes, how much fuel is in the car now, work the headlights and hazard light, turn on the windscreen wipers, make sure the door locks work, etc. Take the agent with you to inspect for any damage, like scratches or dents. If you find anything, make a note of it on the contract. It would be smart to take photos of your rental car before driving off in it and again when you return it. This is to ensure that no one is confused about the condition of the car upon return.
Will I be given a refund for any unused time if I decide to return the rental car before the due date?
Your total car rental price is determined by the exact pick-up and drop-off dates and times spelled out in your agreement. If you are late picking the car up or if you decide to return it early, you will not be given a refund.